/

The Magistrate's Blog (2005-2012)

This blog has migrated to www.magistratesblog.blogspot.co.uk This blog is anonymous, and Bystander's views are his and his alone. Where his views differ from the letter of the law, he will enforce the letter of the law because that is what he has sworn to do. If you think that you can identify a particular case from one of the posts you are wrong. Enough facts are changed to preserve the truth of the tale but to disguise its exact source.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Near London, United Kingdom

The blog is written by a retired JP, with over 30 years' experience on the Bench.

Friday, April 03, 2009

Nice to Know

I have just renewed my car insurance; after the usual internet search I finished up with the people who have that annoying dog in their ads. Nevertheless the cover was what I wanted, and the premium way less than I paid ten years ago for a bigger car. Being a cautious type I wrote a 'for the avoidance of doubt' letter to confirm that use for court business and for the bit of voluntary work I do is covered by the Social Domestic and Pleasure category. I got a letter back to confirm that voluntary work is covered so long as it is unpaid, and that claiming mileage is okay. In addition they cover the voluntary organisations for any liability they might incur by my driving on their business. I think that's pretty okay, as I know of colleagues who have been told that even occasional sittings at a different courthouse require commuting cover to be added. Nice one, doggy.

http://parkingattendant.blogspot.com/http://www.crimeline.info/